24 March 2009

Slow pc?

Hi! As I was working on the Nick 3d project I was all leaving on my desktop in a folder among a lot of other folder. I had also about 30 files of hi res textures and hi res images and render in this folder. As a result my PC was going very slow at a point that I could even not let open msn or listen to itunes while rendering my character!!


Also my my computer has started to freeze due to unknown cause. It is very irritating to be forced to reboot your computer while you were talking to someone important for you or in the middle of a critical task.


The PC I currently use is not mine... it was lent to me by a close friends because he bought a new one this falls. It already got a lot of stuff in it and it cause the computer to run slowly. He didn't want me to format it because he may need it in the future. I spoke with my friend about my problems and he told me some trick as to not put directly things on the desktop because it use too much of ram. Or just deactivate the software that load automatically when you boot your PC. You know the little icon at the bottom right?? :0)



He gives me a little list of thing that we all should do to keep our PC running smoothly. I guess if you have a mac that could applied too... but I don't know to much about mac...




1. Let your PC boot up completely before opening any applications.



2. Refresh the desktop after closing any application. This will remove any unused files from the RAM.



3. Do not set very large file size images as your wallpaper. Do not keep a wallpaper at all if your PC is low on RAM (less than 64 MB).



4. Do not clutter your Desktop with a lot of shortcuts. Each shortcut on the desktop uses up to 500 bytes of RAM



5. Empty the recycle bin regularly. The files are not really deleted from your hard drive until you empty the recycle bin.



6. Delete the temporary Internet files regularly.



7. Defrag your hard drive once every two months. This will free up a lot of space on your hard drive and rearrange the files so that your applications run faster.



8. Always make two partitions in your hard drive. Install all large Software's (like PSP, Photoshop, 3DS Max etc) in the second partition. Windows uses all the available empty space in C drive as virtual memory when your Computer RAM is full. Keep the C Drive as empty as possible.



9. When installing new Software's disable the option of having a tray icon. The tray icons use up available RAM, and also slow down the booting of your PC. Also disable the option of starting the application automatically when the PC boots. You can disable these options later on also from the Tools or preferences menu in your application.



10. Protect your PC from dust. Dust causes the CPU cooling fan to jam and slow down thereby gradually heating your CPU and affecting the processing speed. Use compressed air to blow out any dust from the CPU. Never use vacuum.


So this is basically what he told me in his last email. Now the computer seem to work way better. Hope that this can be useful for you too. For my next project I will work more properly and with more order.

Sam the 3d blogger

www.the3dblogger.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Computer ram freak said...

One of the reason why your computer runs slow is due to dust that already accumulated inside your pc. Cleaning it can help a lot in your pc's performance. Another one is poor memory... If you are experiencing computer freezes then maybe its time to upgrade your computer ram.